A long long time ago, in a carb-free galaxy far far away… there was one pigtailed girl determined to fine a delicious way to make the ultimate healthy banana bread.
With the help of an alliance, Awesome Boyfriend, Girl in Pigtails was able to create the ultimate healthy banana bread.
So to sum up,
With enduring days of extreme exercise and eating little carbs, we really wanted something carb friendly and tasty. Well, we succeeded with one of the two. There were a few days of experimenting. Such things mattered like: glass pan vs. metal pan, cooking time, and even the sequence of mixing ingredients together.
Our banana bread has:
Now if the nutritional facts did not scare you, here is the recipe to make the ultimate healthy banana bread:
2 cups King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour
1 teaspoon of Safeway Plain Salt
2 teaspoons Arm & Hammer Pure Baking Soda
1 teaspoon ‘O’ Organics Ground Cinnamon
1 cup Unsweetened ‘O’ Organic AppleSauce
2 cups Splenda
4 Ripe ‘O’ Organics Bananas
4 beaten eggs, Lucerne Large Brown
1 cup Diamond Chopped Walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour one Teflon metal 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the Applesauce and Splenda until smooth.
- Mash 3 bananas and dice 1 banana.
- Beat eggs.
- Stir in the bananas, eggs, and walnuts until well blended.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture, and stir just until blended.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes in the preheated oven, until a knife inserted into the crown of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for at least 5 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack, and cool completely.
- Wrap in cling wrap and/or aluminum foil to keep in the moisture.
- Serve with Applesauce or Peanut Butter instead of butter for a low fat treat.
Well, there it is: the ultimate healthy banana bread. It is pure awesomeness and I hope everyone enjoys it as much as we do. My next post will be telling about my attempt at apple pie! Yummy!
-Girl in Pigtails