I wanted to try something new and exciting! I wasn’t going to worry about calories and carbs. So, with the help of Miss. Betty Crocker, I found Greek Spanakopita Pie. For those who are not Greek, like me, the pie is a flaky phyllo crust that encases a savory ground beef filling flavored with spinach, tomatoes and feta cheese. I chose to use ground lamb and usually this meal has a ton of butter. However, when I started cooking, I realized I didn’t have a brush for my butter. Improvising, I turned to Pam cooking spray with olive oil. I figured if it was meant to be… it would be delicious!
What you will need:
1lb lean ground lamb
1cup chopped onion (1 large)
1box (9 oz) Green Giant frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1/4cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
1can (15 oz) diced tomatoes with Italian-style herbs, undrained
12sheets frozen phyllo (filo) (14×9 inch), thawed
1/4cup Progresso Italian style bread crumbs
1cup (4 oz) crumbled feta cheese
1can Pam cooking spray with Olive Oil
How to make it:
1. Heat oven to 350F. Spray 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
2. In 10-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently; drain. Stir in spinach, parsley, salt, pepper, and all but 1/2 cup of the tomatoes. Cook and stir until hot; set aside.
3. Cover phyllo sheets with damp paper towel.
4. Arrange sheets, layering 3 at a time, in an X shape and then in a + shape to create a spoke pattern on work surface.
5. Spray each layer lightly with Pam Olive Oil and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the bread crumbs.
6.Transfer all layers of phyllo to pie plate, gently easing dough down sides of pie plate and allowing excess dough to hang over edge.
7. Place beef mixture in pie plate; top with feta cheese.
8.Fold overhanging phyllo up and over filling,leaving 2- to 3-inch center of filling uncovered.
9.Spoon remaining 1/2 cup tomatoes in center. Spray phyllo lightly with Pam Olive Oil.
10. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This was AMAZING! I was so proud of myself and if I could pull it off, so can you!
-Girl in Pigtails